Relics dating back to the Paleolithic Era
- About Jungnang
- Relics dating back to the Paleolithic Era
- Gyeongdong Jeil Church
- Neungmal Village where the people of the Gyeongju Im Clan live together
- Horse ranch
- Book of Mangu-dong Geography
- Relics unearthed from the
- Seongdeoksa Temple
- Tomb of Sukseon Ongju
- Yangwon-ri where the people of the Dongrae Jeong Clan live together
- Yeojeongru Pavilion
- 13-do Changeuiguntap
Relics dating back to the Paleolithic Era
Worn-out stone hammers were found from a housing construction site in Myeonmok-dong in 1967. An extensive survey was carried out on the area, and many stone tools made of pegmatite quartz dike rock were found at the foot of a sunny hill where the surface soil layer was washed away. The layer from which the stone tools were unearthed cannot be dated. Neither fossils nor earthenware were found. The relics were unearthed in an area measuring about 100 ㎡. The collected stoneware (such as choppers, hammers, picks, scrapers, etc.) and stone tool pieces numbered 112.
The site where the relics were found lies with mountains at the back and field spread in front of it along Jungrangcheon Stream. The survey was conducted by Kyunghee University Museum; the unearthed relics are the only ones that date back to the Paleolithic Era among those unearthed so far in Seoul. They are kept at the Seoul Museum of History.
Gyeongdong Jeil Church
This is the oldest religious facility in Jungrang-gu founded by Methodist Church Missionary G. G. Hounsell (Korean name: Han Un-seol) and Korean Choe Seong-ryeol in 1904. Location: 92-1 Junghwa-dong, Jungrang-gu.
Dongdaemun → Dongmyo(Sinseol-dong) → Bojaewon (Anam-dong) → Jongam-dong → Wolgokdong-gil→ Hwarang-ro → Mangwu-dong(Yangwon-ri) →Manguri Pass (Manguri Tunnel) → Donggureng (Nine Royal Tombs in the East)
Neungmal Village where the people of the Gyeongju Im Clan live together
In Sinnae-dong, Neungmal Village through which kings of the Joseon period passed when they went on their way to pay homage at the tombs of the previous king in present-day Guri, 20-plus households of the Gyeongju Im Clan live together. Some households of said clan relocated hither after the Imjin Waeran War (1592-1598). Their descendants have lived here for more than 300 years since then. There is a cemetery for the clan nearby.
There are traditional Korean houses (98 and 105 Sinnae-dong, Neungmal). They also keep royal letters of appointment, olden-day official documents, ox/horse-drawn carriages, mangers, pottery, etc. At the foot of the hill to the right of the road leading to Guri lie the tombs of Jeon Gyun and his wife. He became a meritorious retainer Degree 2 for his role as eunuch in the coup led by Prince Suyang (later King Sejo) against King Danjong. The tombs were relocated hither in 1989.
During the Joseon period, there used to be a state-run Salgoji Ranch at the western foot of Achasan Mountain.
The distance around the ranch was about 20 km, according to a map made between 1788 and 1802 by Saboksi, an office in charge of horse supply to the government. The eastern boundary of the ranch was up to a range of Achasan. The ranch extended westward to an imaginary line drawn from Maebongsan to the slope where Hanyang University is located. It extended northward to an imaginary line drawn from Jungrangpo to a range of Achasan behind Myeonmok-dong. The boundaries were marked with mud rampart on which a wooden fence was set up until the reign of King Myeongjong (1545 ~ 1567) and was subsequently replaced with stone castle walls. The ranch is presumed to have been used to breed and train horses for the kings’ hunting and train troops for martial arts. It was closed in connection with the relocation of the tomb of King Ikjong from Cheonjangsan to Yongmabong Peak in 1846 and restored as a ranch in 1855 with the relocation of said tomb in Guri. It was closed again with the formation of the tomb of Queen Sunmyeong, wife of King Sunjong, in Neungdong in 1904.
This is a book compiled by a descendant of Jeong Gu (Confucian scholar of the mid-Joseon period who led a group of voluntary militia against the invading Japanese troops during the Imjin Waeran War in 1760. It is known as the first geography book about a dong (administrative unit) after the Hundobang Jujadong Geography Book kept in Gyujanggak and was one of the very few books about the geography of dong (including details of nature, economy, culture, and social affairs), although there were many books about the affairs of eup (or gun or hyeon) published during the Joseon period. It is kept at the Seoul Museum of History.
Relics unearthed from the Manguri Pass
The following objects were unearthed from the site of the works for the refurbishment of the uphill Manguri Pass: dolmens, half-moon-shaped stone knives, stone spears, pommel fittings of bronze dagger, stone arrow heads, comb-patterned pottery, pottery with small holes in or two rows right below the mouth, pottery with two-fold mouth, blackish burnished pottery, stone axes, large-sized clay-made pottery, etc.
There is a rumor that unfortunate accidents, which used to occur frequently before, stopped in neighboring villages with the construction of the temple in 1957.
Location: 303-3 Sangbong-dong.
Total floor space: 66㎡/Total land size: 0.65 acre
Tomb of Sukseon Ongju (Princess Sukseon)
Princess Sukseon was a concubine of King Taejong. Location of the tomb: San 37-1, Muk-dong, Jungrang-gu. The stone lamps have the typical shape of those made at the early Joseon period.
Yangwon-ri, Mangu-dong, the Village of the Dongrae Jeong Clan
Jeong Gu began living in Yangwon-ri around the end of the Goryeo dynasty (877-1394) and the beginning of the Joseon dynasty (1392-1910), and his descendants have lived there for more than 600 years (16 generations) ever since. It is the oldest existing village of its kind in Seoul. Even today, about thirty households of Jeong’s clan live there.
Yangwon-ri village is located on the southwestern slopes of Gureungsan Mountain. During the Joseon period, kings passed through this village whenever they went on their way to pay homage at the tomb of King Taejo, the founder of the dynasty, in present-day Guri. It is located behind Songgok Girls’ Middle and High School close to the Jungang (Seoul-Gyeongju) Railroad Line.
One day, King Taejo was returning to the palace after choosing the site of his future tomb. He drank some water drawn from a well in this village, and the water tasted so good that he named the well Yangwon, meaning “good water.” Thus, the village came to be called Yangwon-ri. The trace of the well is still left there, but the water has become bad and undrinkable.
The page with content about the village of Dongrae Jeong Clan in Yangwon-ri.
The pavilion was built in September 1985 as a resting place for the people using the Sangbong Bus Terminal.
13-do Changeuiguntap (Monument honoring Voluntary Troops from 13 Provinces to Fight against Japanese Colonists)
In the early 20th Century, Japanese colonists set up a plan to occupy Korea with force. In November 1907, 10,000-plus Koreans from across the country formed a voluntary military unit led by Yi In-yeong and Heo Wi and marched from Manguri to Seoul to attack Japanese troops. They were no match for the regular Japanese Army, however; they were scattered. In July 1991, the Dong-A Ilbo erected this monument at the entrance to Maunguri Park to honor their spirit of self-sacrifice.